Thursday, January 17, 2019

Coming Home

Two years gone. Have not been back on this blog, because.
the novel is still unpublished.
It had so many mistakes /typos that I withdrew from publication.
The proofreader didn't do his job. The typist changed names, messed up chapters.
When I thought the effort it took to write it,
I come to India, I don't meet anyone, don't go out. There is a reason.
The flat is closed for a year.
The animals are having a picnic, spiders, mice, birds.
There never any water because the pump is jammed.
SO a call to plumber, he changes the pump, now there is water, a crew comes, cleans and dumps all the trash outside.
Now the food has to bought, atta, daal spices, milk butter.. everything.
Drinking water has to be ordered.
The maids disappear, no cook, no-one to sweep, clean.
Order food from Sagar Ratna. Jet lag. Lie on my bed and listen to the planes landing at Indira Gandhi airport.
I can't complain. People advise, sell the flat, come and live in a five star hotel.
I want home, sounds and music of India, not a luxury hotel bed and luxury hotel food.
For most Indians it is a dream, to escape and live in a hotel.
Anyhow, I wrote the novel in the heat of May, with the cook running away and the maid gone to her village for a wedding. Dust piled, I coughed, the dabba gave me indigestion.
Friends talk of their luxurious, carefree life. I visit Krishnaji and see how well her live in maid takes care of the house. I visit Nirmala Jain and see how her daughter-in-law runs the house. Shashi sits in her luxury flat, Rekha comb my hair, she tells her personal maid.
Neighbors see that I have come, hellos are exchanged.
I think of Bhisham, I remember Nirmal before Gagan married him, our talks late into the nights drinking coffe.Rajendra, Ajit and Snehmayi. Onkar andKirti. Get together at Srikant Varma
Jokes, laughter.
Now the silence. Only memories. cherished.
To get back to the novel.
Two years later I am wondering if it is relevant at all?
It is just a novel. I hope a good read. No agenda, no vimarsh Just a story of a young woman finding herself.
 I have sat and corrected, proofread and now will be bringing it back to get it published.
See you soon, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment