Monday, January 21, 2019

Finally the winter has come. Temp is -1 degree F. white snow all over.
The birds wait, too cold  for me to go to the feeder to fill it.
I worked at my study all morning. Skipped lunch, got ready to go out, was surprised to see the snow falling heavily.
I decided to go out anyway.
The car doors are frozen shut. Tried hard but they didn't budge, so came back, finished reading the newspaper.
When I was teaching I always went to India for winter vacation. First there were nieces, they wanted nylon saris, wool, socks, ribbons, jerseys. Adidas shoes. Things were not available in India. My suitcases were always loaded. Yet most of them were not satisfied, one gift for each person was never enough.
But now it is different, everything is available. Still ,chocolates, dolls, kiddie watches, Superman, Spiderman, fake jewelry. Almonds. Pure cinnamon. Long stay lipsticks. Anyone who says यहाँ तो सब मिलता है, is happily crossed out from the list. Then this mumbling,इस बार हमारे लिए कुछ भी नहीं?
Now those nieces are grandmothers. Fifth generation children, still the same love for me, eagerness, happiness. Fake jewelry, watches, special pencils, highlighters, jugglers are for them. Also Danish cookies.
When Tarun was three he visited us here. Last year we  saw a video of that visit. We were sitting at the dining table. There was an open box of Danish cookies at the table. Per was eating out of that. Tarun says, "कितनी सारी खाएँगे?" We laughed and I pulled the box saying" You have had enough." Per looked very surprised but didn't say anything. Now I wish I had let him eat the entire box but Tarun was afraid that Nana will eat all and nothing will be left for him.
Every year the cookies come for Christmas and I buy four boxes. They take a lot of room in my suitcase and disappear very quickly.
To get back to being housebound in snow and cold.
What do you do?
Read, watch tv, cook, clean, tidy up.
I am thinking the last part of Alpa Viram where being snow bound plays a very big role. It came automatically to me at the time of writing, though it was dripping hot in Delhi. NowI sit and look at the mountain of snow and wonder if I should do more editing?
Probably not, because the first draft is often the best draft.
Tomorrow more snow will come and will also get colder.
I wonder how long the airports will be open?

No comments:

Post a Comment