Friday, November 18, 2016


When I look back at the lives of women in my family I find that somethings have changed  dramtically and somethings have remained the same. The third and fourth generation girls have empowered themselves, directed and changed the course of their lives. But most of my cousins and others chose to follow the conventions. That was the thing to do even though they all had education but thought that after education comes marriage then ghargrihasti and children and all the obligations of life. My mother and two aunts were educated at home, but my Nani? I don’t know. But I think she cknew how to read. And probably write. I didn’t know my Father’s mother. Parvati.  The family stressed higher education for men but the girls were home schooled .  My dadi seemed very dictatorial while Nani was quiet and gentle.  Dadi seemed very traditional and harsh. My mother never talked ill of anyone. I know she had to have her veil long after her children were born. She was so unfamiliar with the house and neighborhood that once when all the women went up to the terrace to look at one of the Bua’s barat, my mother didn’t know where the stairs were to go upstairs. She told me with a laugh,” There I was, stumbling around in my long ghoonghat.”
My Nanaji, his name was , I think, Ram Ghulam Hajela and his younger brother was Shiv Ghulam.  But I may be wrotng. There is no one left to correct me. Nanaji was a big zamindaar in Farrukhabad district and owned many villages near Talgram where he had his ancestral home. His first wife could not have children, so he married another woman, my Nani, I used to remember her name but it has disappeared from my memory now. My mother and aunt called her Jiya= Mother and later no one remembered her name, she became Jiya, an old fixture in her sons’s home.s In her old age she spent most of her time wrapped up in a gatThari like veil and did her Radhasoami worship. She barely spoke and had no say in anything. That is how I remember in the last period of her life in Hardwar.
But I remember from before, when she lived with her eldest son Har Ghulam Hajela and his family in a big and spooky house in Nai Sarak, Kanpur. Mamaji wrote Har Ghulam Hajela Raees after his name. His drawing room had my father’s  sofa set that my mother had given him after my father’s death. My mother and myself were living in Parade, closeby. My mother liked to visit Mamaji almost every week, mostly to spend time with Nani. I don’t know what they talked about, because I had discovered a big stash of Chandrakanta Santati  and stuck to it like a bee in honey or as it is said in Hindi, like an ant in jaggery, gur meN cheeNta.
Mother had talked about her childhood.  She had a good memory and a knack for story telling. One of her ancestor, several generation ago was a handsome and cultured and educated man. He also was fond of good living and blew his fortune in the pursuits of various pleasures. He moved to central India where he got a job as a Mashalchi, people who held mashaals in courts for light. Once, as the story goes, told to me by my mother, the Nawab was holding his court and Mashalchi, my mother’s ancestor along with tothers, were holding the light. The document was in Persian, the Nawab could not read one difficult word, nor could his Vazeer, but unconsciously the word slipped out of Mashalchi’s mouth. There was amazement all around. He was promoted and later became  Begum’s favorite. After Nawab died, he set for home, carrying his fortune loaded on 13 camels. Or were they 35, or 57? But in family folklore it did not matter. The sum total was that much of my Nani’s and Nana’s jewelry was inherited from that ancestor , containg precious gems and exquisite artisanship. I myself remember Tirwa Bhabhi’s necklace, a beautiful piece in traditional kundan syle, which she received from my Nani.
My mother remembered every piece of jewelry her family women owned. She also remembered what her younger sister-in-law Prabhavati brought in her marriage. She would tell in detail but never interested in this stuff I didn’t pay attention. More about Prabhavati’s jewelry later.
My aunt Shakuntala was married in to a very prosperous and well known family, but my Nanaji had set his heart on having a highly educated son-in-law for his younger daughter-my mother. There appears my father. A handsome young man, the only son of a Lawyer’s Clerk in Agra, he had done his BA and was in the final year of law. By that time my mother had turned 15 and my Nani had kept her practically a prisoner in purda because the marriageably age for the girls in the family was past. If my Mother came out in front of visiting family members, they would say, Oh ,my such big girl and yet unmarried. Nani was much humiliated but no one could say anything to Nanaji.  Finally the engagement took place. My Chhote Mamaji, known by the popular nickname,Barrister, my mother’s younger brother, came back from the engagement. Women of the family asked what the bridegroom looked like and he started saying,” He is very dark. BaRaa kaala hai” and so the teasing went on. I asked my mother about her feeling of being married to a very dark man. She  ansaid, “ What could I do? That was my father’s decision.”
 Then she smiled and said, “ Barrister was just words. Your father was not dark at all and very handsome.”
Only my eldest sister Kamla remembered out father. As I write this now it occurs to me that I should have asked her what my father looked like. But it never did. Kamla was 12 when he died. Kamini four or five and I was just a baby.
What a big change had taken place in  the course of one generation,.Kamla had met and known her future husband, Kamini’s was a love marriage and so was mine. My mother had no choice but to accept what her father desired and my nani’s sole function was to bear children. She successfully fulfilled her purpose, giving birth to two sons and two daughters. A  nicely balanced family. I wonder if she had not been able to have children or had only daughters, would my Nanaji taken a third wife? Probably.
ToBe Continued this family saga.

2 comments:

  1. I may add;
    Our ancestor, who brought the wealthy era to our family clan, was (1) Dewan Pheru Lal, of Nawab Qudesia Begam, of Bhopal princely state, (AD1819-37). Bhopal was the only state in India being ruled by women, then called Nabab Begam.
    Next generation ancestor to follow were (2) Pooran Mal, (3) Ulfat Rai, (4) Devi Prasad, all only son. Family had few daughters, who were married at different times, but no record of their sibling is available. My grand father (5) was from next generation having a much younger brother named Shiv Gulam, who demanded and was given a unfair larger revenue generating part of Zamindari as first family division of the total wealth includind Zamindari holdings at gun point. Thus begin the wealth destroying era, which was completed by the elder brother of my father, Har Gulam, who took control of all the family money specifically left for establishment of my father born in 1905, by late the grandfather, Shri Ram Gulam,( said to consist of huge quantity of gold in form of gold bricks plus 10,000 silver coins, utensils).This was confirmed by my both Buaji, including your mother. He did not spared even his aged mother (my grand mother) by slowly sucking every thing from her rich possessions, rendering her a speechless lady, who died 1956 at Haridwar. ( May God forgive Tauji). My father Shri Chandra Bhushan Hajela, had to rise from a penny less situation to work as sugar technologist to support his family by working in sugar factories located in remote area of eastern UP. He virtually sacrificed all his family comforts,health, for the sake of our wellbeing and education of his children (3 sons and a daughter,I, being the youngest, born at Hardwar, then in UP). Now our and my next generations has grown well and wealthy again due to all the sacrifice by my father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comments as descend of family for record.

    ReplyDelete